15 years helping Australian businesses

About Lightspeed

Lightspeed is there to empower your marine dealership, you can trust you are making the right business decisions when it matters most.

Learn more about Lightspeed

Pros:

I like the fact that every avenue or corner is or has a paper trail leading to an answer.

Lightspeed ratings

3.6
3.3
3.7
3.4

6.6/10

Lightspeed has an overall rating of 3.9 out 5 stars based on 154 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Lightspeed before?

wanda
secretary/owner in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Review of Lightspeed

Comments: A suggestion would be to send a representative when a new company goes live with the accounting program
or hold an in house school in the state the customers are located.
EX. as a dealer for your product we would be contacted the date, time and location of your school.
Therefore we could send an employee.

Pros:

the system knows more than we do!!lol excellent system for parts, labor, sales, etc

Cons:

in person school would have been very helpful at the time of installing equipment. The cost of sending a trainer from lightspeed was too expensive and he or she wouldn't have known the way our accounting was set up. The accounting system is very hard to grasp . We were using quickbooks before we changed to lightspeed accounting. It should integrate with AG parts and service

Courtney
Finance Manager in US
Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

LightspeedEvo Review

Comments: It's a good product. Pricey, but it definitely gets the job done and it's better then any other software out there.

Pros:

I like how easy it is to prep the deal, print documents.

Cons:

I don't like the menu sell functionality. I don't like how parts and accessories have to be tied to the vin. Same thing with labor. It makes it extra work if a customer backs out of an accessory.

2 years ago

Hi Courtney, Thank you for taking the time to review Lightspeed. We appreciate your continued support! Thanks! Lightspeed

Paige
Retail, 2–10 Employees

T00 Expensive & Too Many Bugs

Comments: Our experience with Lighspeed has been terrible since day one. Our rollout was terrible mostly due to lack of communication on the part of our project leader on this end. However, after that, it's all on CDK and the crappy software. Training was absolutely horrible. We would have been better off on our own than listening to the person they sent to train us on-site. She gave us not only conflicting information and instructions, but totally incorrect information we later learned. Functions and features we were told were operational during the sales pitch and "demo" are still not up and running. Every new feature requires a paid subscription. Suddenly, while creating options they way we had for the previous 4 years, when parts and labor were not accounted for properly in the deals, we were told it was because we were doing it wrong. Support calls go unanswered and unresolved for sometimes weeks. The general ledger is massive and extremely complicated to follow. At one point CDK told us we should have hired "accounting people". What? We are a powersports dealership. We have an accountant. One is all we have ever needed. We would have already switched to another dms had we not been locked into a contract that was too expensive to get out of. We are currently demoing and evaluating other systems that are available to us and will be moving on as soon as possible. IF LIGHTSPEED WORKED, it would be an awesome product.

Pros:

I can't think of a single thing I like about it.

Cons:

The sales module is so glitchy something that should take 10 minutes can sometimes take up to 2 hours.

3 years ago

Hi Paige, We apologize that your experience with Lightspeed has failed to meet expectations. We will have someone reach out to you right away. Thank you so much for your patience. Lightspeed

Brittany
Collections Manager Accounts Payable in US
Automotive, 11–50 Employees

Best Software for our Powersports Department!!

Pros:

I love these easiness of the accounting side of Lightspeed. It has been a game changer in timely processing.

Cons:

It looks like it was made in the 1990's.

Vanessa
Managing Partner in Canada
Recreational Facilities & Services, 2–10 Employees

Highly recommend, but be ready for a big learning curve

Comments: Overall, very glad we made the switch! It's like having an assistant for every position you have on Lightspeed.

Pros:

That it integrates with lots of other programs/websites that we were already using. That it works for all of the facets of our business, with room for us to grow into as well (additional modules that can be purchased). Love that pricing can be automatically updated, both in the parts module and the major unit module. The scheduler for our service department has worked wonderfully. The colour coding in the estimates and repair order screen is awesome at helping us stay organized. At a glance, the sales team can tell how many deals have a deposit or at what part in the sales process a lead may be at. I love that similar parts can be tied together (think multiple supplier selling the exact same part - you can see if you have inventory for that one part) Our service team appreciated the app for repair orders - clocking on and off a job, entering notes, etc. The service advisor can just simply copy and paste notes into the repair order then edit as needed

Cons:

Our staff tend to leave Lightspeed open, logged off or locked out, but open. We don't know an update it going to happen until we come in the next morning to find Lightspeed shut down for the update. We don't necessarily lose information, but we tend to leave RO's or Invoices open to remind ourselves to complete a certain task or update information, etc. So that pseudo reminder gets lost. Anytime we have a price update, the package priced items don't get the proper retail price for the individual item (cost gets calculated correctly), so we have to manually go through those listings to correct... due to the shear qty of packaged products (think fuel hose, bilge hose, fasteners, bulk oil, etc.), I end up waiting for someone to tell me the parts record needs to get updated because they're trying to sell it. We've spoken to tech support numerous times about this issue and after years of complaints, we still do not have a solution. For Canadian dealers, we seem to have to figure out a bunch of workarounds. For example, we can't enter in the HST on sublet invoices through the RO's because the software isn't developed properly for some reason (not an issue apparently for American dealers). Some features aren't available to Canadian dealers, like the ability to call a customer through the program. Recently an exchange calculator of sorts has been implemented, but it still doesn't really serve us the way we were used to with Sage

2 years ago

Hi Vanessa! Thank you for taking the time to review Lightspeed, we are pleased to hear your overall experience has been positive. Thank you, Lightspeed

Michelle
Owner Operator in Canada
Maritime, 2–10 Employees

The worst in communication that I have dealt with in my entire life

Comments: My husband passed away 2 years ago and I needed to take over the management in processing accounting and closing our business. I reached out to [sensitive content hidden]to share what was happening almost right away and I asked about postponing or pausing my subscription until I was able to mentally, emotionally and logistically come back to the accounting. I was declined, which isn't the problem. However, not once was I asked what I needed or offered to share how they could help support me in this transition. I have noticed a theme over the last 2 years and that is when I have reached out, they will delay, avoid or not respond to my emails or phone calls without multiple follow ups. At first it took me a while to realize it wasn't me, but how they have showed a pattern in their behavior in both of my sales managers and their manager [sensitive content hidden]. Recently, I had made a bold request to have a partial refund, which was also declined. As a widow with 4 kids, I knew it was a huge ask that most likely wouldn't be accommodated, but it was worth a try. I was assured by my original sales manager, [sensitive content hidden]that he was optimistic about working something out. What I realize now, is all I needed to to was run some reports and I could have closed the account almost 2 years ago. [sensitive content hidden] then referred me to [sensitive content hidden]. By the time I got to [sensitive content hidden], I wanted to share what it was like for someone who was experiencing a critical point in my life and business, with being hopeful that it would make a difference for their customers in the future. Instead I was met with [sensitive content hidden] defending their stance, he managed to apologize for how I felt, instead of taking some accountability to my experience of being ignored over the last 2 years. I was told that they handle situations on a case by case basis, and I was also told they do not have a policy for handling situations like mine, so their was no compassion about how I was trying to make it all work. I was also told by [sensitive content hidden] that never in his decades of working with the company has he 'never experienced something like this' It's hard to imagine that a company which states "Our goal is to help you operate your business more efficiently and profitably so you can spend more time doing what you love." has never encountered another business facing hardship or struggles looking to be supported by the Lightspeed in working through solutions to make it work for both companies. After speaking with [sensitive content hidden] on or around [sensitive content hidden] we agreed that my account would close in 30 days. Yesterday on [sensitive content hidden] my account cannot be opened. After calling and emailing [sensitive content hidden], with no response (typical) to what is happening. I am grateful that they have ripped off the bandaid and I never have to work with them again. My main complaints are
1. delayed communication with sales
2. No taking accountability to how my experience was with Lightspeed
3. Defending their bottom line instead of being in communication and listening to how they could improve their customer experience.

Pros:

Since I took over management of the company after my husband's death, nothing

Cons:

I have had the worst experience in communication with my sales managers and their supervisor.

Karen
Office Manager in US
Retail, 11–50 Employees

Overall, great to work with. Always ongoing feature development with responsive support.

Comments: We have benefited from this system, and are very satisfied. We transitioned to Lightspeed Evolution from a custom in-house program nearly 10 years ago. We were one of their an early Marine Sales and Service customers and they worked closely with us to tailor many features and defaults to more closely serve the marine industry. The more we've learned we can do with the system, the more we like it, and adjust our practices to take advantage as often as possible.

Pros:

Integration among the modules is mostly complete so there's usually more than one place to look for information. There are available options in how to manage Inventory, according to the individual company needs. Many User and WorkStation preferences are available to customize who's working in what area - one example is the printer selection, which can depend on the task and which store you're working in at the moment. Many defaults are flexible per store within the same parent company. This is an important feature for companies with multiple locations. The huge Custom Reporting module makes it easy to track and extract almost any combination of factors into one place for easy editing, copying, and sharing. Entry is user-friendly because the screens are laid out logically.

Cons:

Still no way to import or connect a customer-owned unit with Consignment Sales so to sell a customer boat, a duplicate unit has to be created. This inefficiency can also cause confusion. There are inconsistencies in how information has to be entered into the different modules. It seems as if no single department oversees upgrades and changes to make sure the different modules perform the same way as the others. The system can to bog down, and there's occasional loss of connection. According to customer service, server upgrades are planned, but the overall time needed is still within an acceptable range.

3 years ago

Hi Karen, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback with your experience with Lightspeed. We are glad to see your experience overall has been positive. As always, if you need anything our support team is available to you. Thank you! Lightspeed

Lindsay
Parts Manager in US

Lightspeed is worth it!

Comments: I feel like I have better control over our inventory and forecasting. Using Lightspeed, we've been able to upload inventory checks quicker and keep our numbers tighter. A lot of it is trial & error, as the wait time for customer support can take days, if not longer. The community section is very helpful to find others in the same situation. Overall, I am glad our company made the switch.

Pros:

I love the reporting and custom reports. As a Parts Manager I live in data and the reporting is a huge help in managing our inventory. The labels are easy to create and special orders have the last name which helps the techs. I appreciate the options for multiple BIN locations (as we have more than one workspace), the availability to see the Yamaha availability from an invoice, and the ability to export the order to the supplier's website.

Cons:

The Service Scheduler can use some more improvement based on a marine repair shop which moves differently than other repair shops. I wish some of the options on the mobile app (tech notes, job complete) were available on the desktop version; and vice-versa (more Parts options on the mobile side: scan barcodes, inventory, add parts to RO).

3 years ago

Hi Lindsay! Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback with your experience with Lightspeed. We are glad to see your experience overall has been positive. As always, if you need anything our support team is available to you. Thank you! Lightspeed

Director of Finance in US
Recreational Facilities & Services, 11–50 Employees

Excellent solution

Comments: My experience with Lightspeed has been excellent. The implementation was very easy and the support people are all super knowledgeable and great to work with. The product is seamless and contains all of the operational side functionality that we need.

Pros:

The Lightspeed software covers all aspect of our business from parts and unit sales to purchasing, store operations and all aspects of accounting. The system has good controls to ensure all modules "play nice" with each other. It is generally pretty intuitive and easy to use. It is a very well thought out system.

Cons:

It would be great if there was a little more functionality in the general ledger and payables modules. Also, customer service availability is limited and often have long wait times. For a product like this customer service should have much greater availability.

2 years ago

Hi Michael, Thank you for taking the time to review Lightspeed. We are always soliciting program suggestions on our Ideas exchange. It is feedback like yours and other dealerships that directs us regarding what and how we build Lightspeed. The Ideas exchange can be found in service connect. Thanks! Lightspeed

Recreational Facilities & Services, 2–10 Employees

DO NOT BUY not worth the money

Comments: worst product I have ever had to use.

Pros:

not much its a joke. you can easily see that people that dont have to use it in the day to day created it.

Cons:

I could write a book on how bad this software is but here are the big things1-not user friendly at all has no basic info readly to go for the user. 2- customer support is non existent (which sucks because every upgarde loses more and more of the stuff you need)3- way to expensive for all the headaches it causes in the day to day and reporting.

Tina
ACCOUNTANT in US

review

Comments: Nothing works together in a simple transaction.
Not a user friendly program at all.
Accounting does not work well with the rest of the program.
Too many keystrokes per transaction. Ridiculous to say the least.
Only being able to use Worldwide for Credit Card SUCKS!!!!!! They are the worst.

Pros:

I dont know of any pros this program offers. One of the most difficult programs I have ever worked with in my life.

Cons:

Too many key strokes to accomplish a single task. Does not carry over info to corresponding places. Should not have to reconcile accounts daily. That is ignorant for an accounting person. My list is very long.... Service Connect is way too broad usually doesnt answer the question you have to go to several searches to figure it out. Customer Service only puts a band aid on the issue generally creating other issues and they never can help when you ask and accounting question. As well as being put on hold many times throughout the call. To the point we dont like to call for help unless we are completely stuck.

3 years ago

Hi Tina, We apologize that your experience with Lightspeed has failed to meet expectations. We will have someone reach out to you right away. Thank you so much for your patience. Lightspeed

Brian
Proshop Manager in US
Sporting Goods, 51–200 Employees

Lightspeed Review

Comments: Lightspeed has functioned well, but it certainly still seems archaic. We use other systems to utilize things that Lightspeed can do but can't do the best. (i.e. salesforce as our crm)

Pros:

There are very little glitches. Things function as they should.

Cons:

Very little detail to selling accessories. As a business that has a large proshop on top of being in marine sales and service, the use in the proshop department is very limited. Can't do invoice reports based on time stamp. Can do invoice reports based on computer/station. Can't choose reasons for returned products. Limited options for integrating credit card / gift card payments. Waiting on hold for support is painful. Preferred the days of the chat window.

3 years ago

Hi Brian, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback with your experience with Lightspeed. We are glad to see your experience overall has been positive. Thanks for your input on what we can do better, we always strive to improve our user experience and knowing is the first step. As always, if you need anything our support team is available to you. Thank you! Lightspeed

Jack
MANAGER in US

Mortons Power Equipment Review

Comments: Wish that it was meant more for power equipment

Pros:

It offers alot of options, is very thorough

Cons:

It is not meant for the outdoor power equipment world

2 years ago

Hi Jack, Thank you for taking the time to review Lightspeed. We have hundreds of Powersports and OPE dealerships using the software. Most have been using it for decades. Please let us know the details and we would be happy to help. [email protected]. We are also always soliciting program suggestions on our Ideas exchange, after all it is the dealerships suggestions and feedback that has built Lightspeed. The Ideas exchange can be found in service connect. Thank you! Lightspeed

Alan
Owner in Canada

RPM Marinas Lt

Comments: Terrible. I have voiced my concerns over the past 8 years, and all I have seen are the backs of those that receive my feedback, is their backs as they run for the hills. I believe the problem is a focus on making money in spite of customer feedback instead of focusing on the good of the customer

Pros:

It was supposed to be easy to use as it was an industry wide solution. It is not and there seems to be no inclination to see it change

Cons:

Useability in an operational setting. Frankly, the only real value to me as the owner is that it feeds the GL. I do not have confidence in the numbers at all. Very sad actually

3 years ago

Hi Alan, We apologize that your experience with Lightspeed has failed to meet expectations. We will have someone reach out to you right away. Thank you so much for your patience. Lightspeed

IS Director in US
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 51–200 Employees

Workhorse But Expensive with Many Gaps

Comments: It has saved us an enormous amount of time and helped us to clean up a lot of financial vagaries. Hard to set up though.

Pros:

The amount of labor this product saves us and CRM and ERP features is huge.

Cons:

Doesn't integrate with non-lightspeed IP Phones. Has many failures for smaller business versus bigger businesses.

3 years ago

Hi David, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback with your experience with Lightspeed. We are glad to see your experience overall has been positive, and has helped save your company time. We have noted your additional points to help improve user experience on our software. If you need anything our support team is available to you. Thank you! Lightspeed

Lisa

Lightspeed at a RV Dealership

Comments: The reports feature is quite unique because Lightspeed makes it really easy to design reports that any Manager wants to be able to pull along with the many stock reports in the report library. The phone app allows the Sales Consultants to scan the customers drivers license to start a deal. This really speeds up the process. The Service Advisors are also able to take pics on their app when checking in customers and save those pics to the RO. This really improves productivity in all departments.

Pros:

The platform that Lightspeed uses is really a friendly platform. It is simple to use and has some great features for the Sales Consultant, Service Advisors and the Managers in those departments. The drill down feature is awesome as well.

Cons:

When we were to go live Covid hit the country and we had to do it via computer and phone. That really slowed us down when it came to learning the software. I would say if we could have had a live implementation it would have gone much smoother!

Melissa
VP in US
Maritime, 11–50 Employees

Why we no longer use Lightspeed

Comments: frustrating

Pros:

We liked the detail, but found the product extremely difficult to use, very rigid and not user friendly at all.

Cons:

We had difficulty with the rigidity of the system, and had difficulty with getting answers to questions in a timely manner when we called. Sometimes it would be days before a return call, difficult to remember the question at that point.

3 years ago

Hi Melissa, Thank you for providing feedback on why you no longer use Lightspeed for your business, any feedback we get is used to improve features and user experience to help businesses like yours succeed. We will certainly take your remarks to heart as potential ways to improve our systems. We apologize that your experience with Lightspeed has failed to meet expectations. Thank you so much for your patience as you used our products. Lightspeed

Kenneth
President in US
Automotive, 11–50 Employees

Better than the other software

Comments: Lightspeed Evo has been used in my dealership for 3 years. We had been an NXT user for 25 years before that. We had briefly switched to DX1 product for 6 months and it could not function for a dealership of our size so we went back to lightspeed.

Pros:

The integration of the different department operations and functionality are better than the competition. We have the cloud solution and it works seamlessly.

Cons:

Glitches very slow to get fixed. Support is slow to respond. I have found several operational difficulties and submitted requests to have them improved and none have been addressed. Monthly maintenance cost is outrageous.

Craig
Maritime, 11–50 Employees

We use and enjoy the lightspeed software

Comments: We are very happy with the service and value

Pros:

We have just added other segments to our subscription. Now having the sale module we can be much more efficient

Cons:

The software will take you some time to dial it in to your needs. This is not a one size fits all software

Aaron
Sales Manager in US

Lightspeed for Boat Dealers

Comments: Its a love/hate relationship.

Pros:

I like the customization and abilities of the software.

Cons:

It doesn't work well when departments collaborate. Sales/Service don't work well enough together from a billing/margin/workflow side of things. It's not web based, so working remotely in lightspeed is challenging. In sales, we don't quote out of lightspeed due to how time consuming it is, so we actually quote boats out of another software to get the sale, and then spend the 30minutes in LS to write up the final PA.

3 years ago

Hi Aaron, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback with your experience with Lightspeed. Thank you for your note about sales/service not working well together and making it easier to work remotely, this will be noted for improvements. Thank you! Lightspeed

Mary
PARTS MANAGER in US

Overall great

Comments: I have personally been a user since 2004 - You've come a long way, the customer service has improved by leaps and bounds.

Pros:

Most important to us is that it actually works - our entire business stops when Lightspeed goes down.

Cons:

Its glitchy. Parts inventory especially for me is an issue. LS will show 4 of something on order when it's not. It will show -2 in inventory when we have zero.... things like that interfere with the ordering process and allow us to run out of things because we think they've already been ordered.

3 years ago

Hi Mary, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback with your experience with Lightspeed. We are glad to see your experience overall has been positive. As always, if you need anything our support team is available to you. Thank you! Lightspeed

Josh
CFO in US
Automotive, 51–200 Employees

Not the best, but does the job.

Comments: LightSpeed support is very unresponsive. I have a request for support that is still unanswered after I tried scheduling a time to discuss the issue. However the software is very good in flows of operations.

Pros:

It works really well for dealership operations.

Cons:

It is not a good G/L accounting software for back office staff. The ability to drill into transactions from lists is very limiting. Reconciliations of subledgers to G/L are not accurate.

3 years ago

Hi Josh, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback with your experience with Lightspeed. We are glad to see your experience overall has been positive. Thank you also for bringing support issues and G/L issues to our attention, I will pass this note along as an area of improvement. Thank you! Lightspeed

patty
Bus Mgr in US

Pros

Comments: The system is strong however would love to see development work quicker to implement time saving improvements recommended by users. It is not really clear how programming chooses the changes/improvements they focus on it would be really nice to have a weighted system that would allow some much needed improvements to move ahead

Pros:

Strong inventory and cost accounting management

Cons:

Lacks streamlined approach to high volume tasks such as accounts receivable. Customers cannot pay a bill on line must call to do so ect...

3 years ago

Hi Patty, Thank you for taking the time to review Lightspeed. Your remarks about time saving improvements are valid and we will certainly take them as we make improvements to help businesses like yours succeed. Thank you! Lightspeed

carla
office adm in Canada
Sporting Goods, 2–10 Employees

lightspeed

Comments: the changes that may occur between the computers and the software

Pros:

ease of invoices, work orders, check out, deals

Cons:

would like to see the an easier way to delete things that maybe ordered and not received by mistake taken out of the area

3 years ago

Hi Carla, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback with your experience with Lightspeed. We are glad to see your experience overall has been positive. As always, if you need anything our support team is available to you. Thank you! Lightspeed

Jody

Retail Application

Comments: Because the system is so complex and having many different ways to do things it is difficult to learn and train new people. Once we figure it out it is good.

Pros:

Ability to cross over in all facets of the business.

Cons:

The inability to use scan gun in any other functions than parts invoice. It is extremely labor intensive to make labels for the sales floor and to be able to scan in product to receive things.

3 years ago

Hi Jody, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback with your experience with Lightspeed. Training and using the scan gun are great points of improvement, we will take those notes as we further improve our Lightspeed software. Thank you! Lightspeed