15 years helping Australian businesses

About Adobe InDesign

Cloud-based tool that provides businesses with tools to create graphic designs and streamline marketing operations.

Learn more about Adobe InDesign

Pros:

That relates to its biggest disadvantage: price (see below). But the ability to link to Illustrator or Photoshop files, and have those linked files update in InDesign when they're edited, is powerful.

Cons:

The expense and Adobe's inability to play nice with operating systems has always been a pain, and an expensive one.

Adobe InDesign ratings

4.1
4.2
4.7
4.2

8.7/10

Adobe InDesign has an overall rating of 4.8 out 5 stars based on 272 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Adobe InDesign before?

Justin
Justin
Owner in US
Design, Self Employed

Adobe InDesign: An industry standard, for so many reasons

Comments: I literally couldn't function as a business owner without it. Even the 'cons' I listed are not critical. I often start and end my projects in InDesign, even if Photoshop and Illustrator are a part of the process. Highly recommended for those looking for an industry best practice!

Pros:

I primarily use this product for page layout. From brochures to booklets to single page flyers. I've even started using it recently to create vector art. This latter use case shows how InDesign has evolved over the years to further integrate with other Adobe products. InDesign is also very user friendly and allows me to seamlessly make edits to documents on the fly and turn around new drafts for clients within minutes.

Cons:

This is not so much an InDesign-specific issue. Rather, an Adobe products issue. I continue to struggle with the fact that Adobe organizes tools, filters, etc. differently between each of the primary programs (Illustrator; InDesign; Photoshop). It makes sense that each software has its own unique tool set. But for the tools where there is apples-to-apples crossover, it would be helpful if they could be found within the same navigation dropdown.

Julie
Marketing in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11–50 Employees

Great Software, But Rather Complex

Comments: Like all Adobe programs, InDesign is incredibly powerful and robust...almost TOO powerful. It's got a lot of little intricacies you likely will never use or need...If you do, great--they're there! But if you don't, them it's just more buttons and tabs and windows and options for you to have to dig through in order to reach the features you DO use. Still a million times better than trying to layout a document in Microsoft Word though!!

Pros:

It's very powerful and can do a ton of things. After using InDesign, and being able to customize so much of my graphic design and text, I now prefer to use this over most programs, including Microsoft Word. The guides are always helpful, ensuring that my elements are evenly spaces and aligned properly. I love being able to easily copy an entire page and all it's elements, and then rearrange things while still in the same document so I can see how a design progresses as I tinker with various elements of the layout and end up with several variations and options. The program is capable of so much, and I'm always continuing to learn more new and helpful tricks.

Cons:

1. The cost. Thankfully this is paid for by my employer, because I wouldn't be able to afford to use it otherwise. It's also rather annoying that I don't have the option to just outright purchase a license to OWN. No, like most other software these days, you can only "lease" it, paying by the month. This program does not have enough major updates to truly need access to the latest version. I could work from an older version quite happily. 2. FONTS. I don't know what the deal is, but I always have issues with the fonts, and regardless of how many times I waste my time, reconnecting each font style when I open a document, I inevitably have to do it each and every time. It's time consuming and cumbersome, and considering the fonts are installed directly in my computer's font library, I don't see why it has such an issue. I could possibly understand if I were only using font's from Adobe's library on the cloud, however, this particular font is installed. 3. The fact that I cannot easily change the color of an icon with a cover overlay or something similar. It's a minor point, but as icons have become so popular lately, they are featured in almost all of my documents and layouts. The only way I've found to do it thus far is a messy workaround that involves using the Inner Glow feature, and changing about 6 different but specific settings in order to change the color of the icon. It's a bit of a hassle for a task that feels rather basic. 4. My user view/layout. You have the option to customize your own layout, which I have done...and yet the layout CONSTANTLY gets reset back to the default....and my custom one has disappeared, so I don't even have the option to select it any more! Given that experience, I haven't bothered to create a new custom view because it seems futile, since it'll continue to be reset with each update, AND I'm not confident that view won't mysteriously disappear like my previous one. 5. Not the most intuitive. Its complexity is both a blessing AND a curse, and if you use a lot of other Adobe products, it'll look familiar and you'll be able to identify a lot of the buttons and figure things out. However, new people will likely have a bit of a struggle learning their way around. Also, there's SO many features that a lot of them area tucked away, "hidden" in various drop downs, buttons, options, etc. It's hard to remember where things are if you don't use them very regularly. It's difficult to truly learn the whole program. I've been using it for 13+ years, and I still feel like I'm just mediocre with it.

Janice
Marketing Specialist in US
Retail, 51–200 Employees

I use InDesign on a daily basis

5.0 last month New

Comments: I use InDesign almost every single day of the week. Have been very happy with all of it and InDesign help is very good at helping me to solve and learn new avenues of creating.

Pros:

I love Adobe InDesign and honestly don't know where I would be without it. I love being able to seamlessly import and export with other Adobe products and also being able to create just what I need

Cons:

Nothing to report on this. Love InDesign.

Emilio
Designer in Spain
Defense & Space, 10,000+ Employees

The standard for layout designing and publishing

Comments: I love InDesign, I've been using it almost all my life. But it as time goes by it is becoming more and more outdated. Although there are new softwares more capable in many areas I'm not switching because InDesign it's the standard

Pros:

It is the most complete software for publishing and layout designing. Once you are used to it, it is capable almost of everything. There are many feature to automate repetitive task which are super convenient.

Cons:

It is becoming outdated. I find annoying the fact that you cannot open a document generated with a newer version of InDesign. Launching it is super slow even though it is not a demanding resources program. There are not many tools for digital publish layouts, and the ones that it has are outdated.

liz
User Experience Support in Australia
Architecture & Planning, 51–200 Employees

InDesign is an industry standard

Comments: I am still a user of InDesign and it has served me well for the last decade or two! Because of the cost factor, and competitors value, I will be forced to use Affinity from next month onwards :(

Pros:

InDesign is a great desktop publishing tool that I would say is quite easy to learn and serves as an amazing tool for creating documents. The memory function is definitely handy, seems to recover quite accurately after crashes.

Cons:

I think it's quite expensive. Our company has recently made the move to Affinity due to the cost factor. Would also be good to integrate with OpenAsset a bit better.

Graphic Design, 2–10 Employees

My indispensable layout king

Comments: the overall experience is better, Indesign is a software that has been able to adapt to my desires, today I can create an ebook layout in a few clicks, so if I can't let my imagination grow, that's the limit of indesign.

Pros:

Synchronized assembly of content: Shapes, images, text

Cons:

What I like most about indesing is the higher price list.

Tiara
Tiara
Founder in US
Media Production, 2–10 Employees

The Holy Grail of publishing

Pros:

Indesign is a part of Adobe Suite so it can integrate with other Adobe programs. I mostly use it in conjunction with Photoshop and Lightroom. Indesign also feature many customizable layouts to create beautifully curated print designs.

Cons:

Large files can become an issue if you don't have a computer with sufficient storage space. Also, because of the large files, exporting can be very time consuming. External storage may be necessary.

Stéphanie
Communication officer in France
Arts & Crafts, 11–50 Employees

Indesign review

5.0 last month New

Pros:

All the necessary tools to edit and create documents are available in this software.

Cons:

I'am totally satisfied of Adobe Indesign

Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Higher Education User Review of More than 6+ Years

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

I like how Adobe InDesign is fully integrated into the Adobe Suite (Adobe Creative Cloud). After you learn to navigate the tool, the ability to create high-level content that has reliable access, several import/exporting mediums, and access to various assets is a major plus for InDesign.

Cons:

There is a bit of a learning curve with Adobe InDesign. You don't need to necessarily pay for training as there are numerous free trainings and DIY videos to learn from.

Tessa
Marketing Specialist in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Might Not Be Easy, But It's Just What We Need!

5.0 last month New

Pros:

I love Adobe InDesign because there is SO much we're able to do in terms of design. There are hundreds of thousands of possibilities when it comes to designing in InDesign, and it is so worth every penny!

Cons:

Adobe InDesign is complex, and the complexity can make it difficult to do things the way you'd like to. If there was an option to find a simpler way to do things it would make our work quicker and easier.

Hayden
Video Producer in US
Media Production, Self Employed

It's a great editorial piece of software, but look into Affinity Publisher

Comments: When you need a publishing software, InDesign might be the number one choice for most professionals, and there is a good reason for it. It integrates very well with the Adobe design software suite and can make your life very easy depending on what you are working with.
I do however been using Affinity Publisher more and more and been trying to switch completely in the next few years, since I already own the software and love how powerful is.
Choose your poison, you can't go wrong with InDesign and if you subscribe to the whole suite thi is a no-brainer.

Pros:

It's a very powerful and quite the industry standard software to use

Cons:

It's quite expensive if you don't need to use other Adobe products.

Minelly
Photographer / Graphic DEsigner in Canada
Graphic Design, Self Employed

Very high functionalities for page setups

Comments: InDesign is my go-to program when it comes to creating or modifying a visual composition. I did my last product catalog with this program. It was a charm!

Pros:

InDesign offers the ability to create a neat, high-quality document that can support many types of files at once. For example, if you have an image, text, shapes and some colouring, it will keep the vector aspect of the whole composition. Navigating through the menus is very clear and intuitive. Another key feature is the possibility to create 'styles' for text and paragraphs. This means that if a certain type of text needs to be repeated many types on the page, you can simply click on the style and it will automatically convert it to the registered setting. InDesign lets you create very detailed documents with a multitude of tools & options available.

Cons:

It does require a monthly subscription that could be pricey to some. It also uses a lot of RAM out of your hard drive to operate the program.

Markus
Creative Director in Germany
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

Layouts for Ads, Brochures or Posters - perfect for our daily business.

Comments: Since i'm working in advertising, im using InDesign. After QuarkXpress at the beginning, InDesign overruled it and is now the perfect tool for our and my daily business.

Pros:

The easy handling and the easy drag and drop from other Adobe Suits Apps.

Cons:

Could be more collaborative with multi-user functions, like the usage in apps from Google. Maybe for the next 2023 version?

Barry
Corporate Director, Marketing and Communications in US
Plastics, 201–500 Employees

A great program for print design and layout

Pros:

Indesign has just about every tool you'd need to create any type of print layout. I've done simple cards all the way through complete books and Indesign fits the need very well.

Cons:

Like other Adobe software, there is a pretty big learning curve, and it is EXPENSIVE.

Sam
Designer in US
Design, Self Employed

Layout design made easy

Comments: When it comes to multi-page layouts and designs, Adobe InDesign has tremendously improved my productivity. To come up with the greatest layouts for my designs, I can easily align text and develop different styles. When designing on a larger scale, InDesign definitely comes in handy. I also really like the guides and alignment options that InDesign has to offer.  While its shortcuts and user interface appear to be less intuitive than Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator, it is still an incredibly useful program that can be used in conjunction with other Adobe programs. I think it's a must-have for the majority of designers.

Pros:

For me, InDesign has been quite beneficial with the work I do. It's arguably the Adobe product I use more than any other option.  When it comes to layouts, InDesign is far superior to Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. The amount of guidelines and item snapping are two of Adobe InDesign's biggest strengths. When aligning text and photos, for example, all of the elements snap into place and effortlessly align with each other. InDesign also makes it simple to generate new spreads and pages, as well as rearrange them if the layout needs to be changed.  When I'm trying out different design possibilities on a spread and need to experiment with different widths and page orientations, InDesigns alternative layouts feature comes in handy.

Cons:

InDesign accomplishes a lot of things effectively, but it has one major flaw: its shortcuts and features differ significantly from those of Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop. These inconsistencies irritate me because I have to continuously halt and consider which program I'm using. Anchor points with the pen tool in InDesign interact differently than anchor points in other Adobe programs. More uniformity between Adobe applications is something I'd like to see more of.

Ruffin
Operations Mgr in US
Printing, 2–10 Employees

Incredibly powerful graphic layout software

Comments: I have been using this software for over 10 years and at this point I am so comfortable and accustomed to using InDesign that I no longer use basic text-editing software like MS Word. The software is definitely geared towards graphic arts and publication professionals so it is not an easy software to learn per se, but in my experience it's capabilities and functionality are unparalleled.

Pros:

InDesign is an incredibly powerful and capable software for graphic/print design layout. It is designed to integrate with the other Adobe Creative Cloud (formerly Creative Suite) software (primarily Illustrator and Photoshop) and for the most part it integrates seamlessly when used correctly. There's an endless amount of tutorials, guides, and troubleshooting available online so it can be easy to figure things out on your own if you're already somewhat familiar with the software. There are also lots of paid and free plug-ins and scripts available online that can expand InDesign's functionality for specific needs.

Cons:

One of the biggest qualms with InDesign is that it is currently only available as a subscription model. This can make it more affordable for users who only need access for a short period, but power users who use the software regularly will need to plan on paying for a subscription for the entire time they need the software. While the subscription model allows for regular update releases, that can be problematic when dealing with files that were generated from software versions different than your own.

Richard
Senior IT Assistant & Graphic Designer in Ghana
E-Learning, 501–1,000 Employees

Take your Publication Design(book, news paper, brochure) to the next Level

Comments: Overall I have benefited a lot working with Adobe InDesign on all my publication projects . Checking my imposition and keeping my design well organized.

Pros:

The A master page which allows users to have control over all pages . Also, the software has a simple interface because of its similarity to the Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop. The most amazing thing is that after working, the user can package the project with all media and fonts. The ability to create a style sheet for text designs and many more to ensure consistency and save time.

Cons:

There is nothing I really don't like about this software.

Scott
PrePress Manager/IT in US
Printing, 11–50 Employees

Adobe Indesign

Comments: Overall I have always loved Indesign ever since it switched from Pagemaker to Indesign. It was one of the easiest transitions ever.

Pros:

Indesign is probably the best layout software for a graphic designer to this date. It has great functionality for all designers in the graphic layout world.

Cons:

I think the one thing that I have always thought they should integrate into InDesign is when it comes to facing pages. In the printing world when doing a Perfect bound or spiral bound book you need to have bleed on all 4 sides of the page so that you do not have to under trim a book. Truly every designer wants to layout a book in facing pages when they design. The problem with this when doing a spiral or perfect bound book is you do not get the correct bleed on the gutter. You end up with bleed from the next page which isn't what you want in this type of book. They need to make it so you select Perfect bound or spiral on facing pages and it allows you to select the amount of bleed you want in between and then an option to hide that bleed so you can visually see it like normal.

Adham
Adham
Senior Social Media Specialist, Senior Graphic Designer in Jordan
Broadcast Media, 10,000+ Employees

From portfolios to 100 page catalogs, InDesign is capable of that

Comments: I've used Adobe In-design for the first time back in 2017, i created my first portfolio for my design business, and that's when all the doors opened, i've used InDesign since then for all of my top clients, from company profiles to product catalogs, i've done it all and it always had my back. i recommend it for everyone who wants to create anything for digital publishing and offline brochures, catalogs, product base, online and offline portfolios, and magazines

Pros:

I usually use it for catalog design and portfolios and company profiles, it certainly have the best features, easy to use most of the time, exporting is pretty fast, the fact that you can add multiples layers of complex designs and even edit your previous PDF's.

Cons:

Sometimes the app crashes out of the sudden, but that's about it, and i wish there was more templates to use.

neji
Editor in chief in Tunisia
Newspapers, 51–200 Employees

Let's Indesign

Comments: Well, during several years we had been using Indesign and it had been successes whth. We used to use Quarkspress but we changed mind and had no reason to regret. In paper projects which are our main activities; nothing stopped us to got ahead whith Indesign and Adobe in sum.

Pros:

As I said before, you can't not adopt Indesign as partner when you decide to do some publishing works, for paper or online forms. I can pretend that it is a publishing portal as long as it collaborate whthdifferent Adobe tools. It can even be enough to you if all elements are ready to insert.

Cons:

I had some problem with switching between Machintosh and Microsoft Indesign. Sometimes you have to do this, but the rivality between the Apple and Microsoft make the shipping hard and may break some links inside the product not yet finished.

Alma
Architect in Mexico
Architecture & Planning, Self Employed

A basic programme

Comments: My use of the programme in school was for the publication of projects every semester and my final thesis, it is an incredible programme for the organisation of large scale publications, in my professional life it allows me to take jobs related to the elaboration of portfolio documents and cover publications, its workflow is very good and I have rarely made a mistake with the programme, it doesn't take you long to learn to use it and I like that it is always in constant evolution with its tools and features.

Pros:

It's not that difficult to use, it has a good workflow and if you've used other Adobe programs you can easily learn to use its tools, its interface is not complex but you have to use it constantly in order to master all the features it contains. Overall it is a good program for editing and presenting projects.

Cons:

I think it's a problem in all Adobe programs and a constant complaint is the fact to handle different commands for each program, InDesign is not an exception, when you are just starting out you realise that you have to relearn the shortcuts to make your work fast. And at the beginning you lose a lot of time and you can get annoyed because you don't know how to undo some mistake you made.

Angela
Music Team Coordinator in US
Religious Institutions, 51–200 Employees

Super Detailed Program!

Pros:

Adobe InDesign works great to create detailed material (like flyers, posters, booklets, etc...)

Cons:

I thankfully am the one who doesn't do the initial creation of files for our organization. Someone else creates them, then I go in and proof and edit. I think ID is a more complicated program to use. Maybe it's just because I don't know all the ins and outs of it, but I do think it's super detailed and can be confusing as to how to utilize it. I DO think it's a great program - if you can get some training on it and spend some time figuring out all the cool features! I just prefer something a little more simple. However, it works great for our church for all the graphic needs we have and all the printed material we put out regularly!

Monica
graphic designer in UK
Retail, 501–1,000 Employees

As a designer, I wouldn't use anything else

Comments: I need to use this software, it's that simple, and I would recommend it to others who need to make a variety of assets on a daily basis

Pros:

Fantastic for what I do which is a huge variety - ticketing, spec sheets, editorial, POS etc, seamless integration with plugins and add-ons, and it works really well with other Adobe CC products allowing easy mixes of text and graphics

Cons:

Can be slightly clunky in terms of finding a feature you need to use or not being entirely clear about where an error is

Fabrizio
Graphic Designer in Italy
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11–50 Employees

Good impagination software

Comments: Good for create catalogues, leaflets and other documents.

Pros:

Good functionality, easy to use the main functions, quick export results. Easy user interface (the same in years and years).

Cons:

There are some bugs and no multicore support... We are in 2023 and this software often is very slow to open and modify pages and images... sometimes crashes. Adobe realese to many versione 2021,2022,2023 and this create confusion to manage files and so on

Juliana
Juliana
Marketing Manager in US
Architecture & Planning, 51–200 Employees

InDesign for Marketing

Pros:

InDesign is an excellent design tool to use when working on long-format design. I use it daily for anything from long-format publication design to social media graphics and it easily adapts to help me work on anything in between.

Cons:

Some of the features to expedite your work take some time to learn, I wish it was more intuitive to learn shortcuts.