ShopKeep Reviews

by ShopKeep By Lightspeed

• Overall
    3.4 /5
    3.8 /5
    3.2 /5

About ShopKeep

ShopKeep By Lightspeed exists to give independent business owners the tools they need to thrive in the modern world.

Learn more about ShopKeep

Charleen C.
  • Reviewed on 09/01/2020

"Cost of Goods Sold not included in Quickbooks Integration"

Comments: Overall, it has been good except for the QuickBooks Integration.

Pros: I like how easy it is to use and for anyone to learn. I also like how quickly it updates information from Backoffice to the iPad.

Cons: We've been using ShopKeep for 5 years now. During those 5 years, we've been using a third party app called Shogo that would take our sales, including Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) from ShopKeep and post it into QuickBooks. I have recently upgraded my plan because ShopKeep now integrates directly with QuickBooks, and I had dropped Shogo. Huge mistake! ShopKeep does not have COGS mapped to QuickBooks. That's like washing your hair without shampoo. For every sale, cost of goods sold needs to be booked at the same time or your profit margins are off. I find it ridiculous that they didn't think to include it as part of the integration. So if you want Cost of Goods Sold posted into QuickBooks you will have to manually do a journal entry.

• Reviewed on 09/01/2020
Bobbie H.
Restaurants
  • Reviewed on 13/08/2016

"On it's way"

Pros: When Shopkeep is running and everything is syncing it's wonderful. Easy to use, easy to train staff to use, the credit card signing page has increased tipping by 30%, reporting is fun to see without extra data entry.

Cons: When Shopkeep isn't running and syncing time moves so slowly. Resetting the credit card machine over and over during a busy time is awful. Resetting the ticket printers then updating the ipads when we are busy is miserable. Having them just not re set and paying more to manually enter credit card numbers sucks. Having the printers just not reset and having to go back to hand writing and running tickets to the kitchen is the worst. When the ipads don't sync so we can't pull checks at the register for customers who didn't order at the register and well that really sucks. A lot. Troubleshooting with customer service on this last issue was pretty bad. They would go back to the beginning and tell me to restart the ipads as if I wouldn't have tried that considering we experience them not syncing at least every other day. I have had to get a new router and faster internet to try and solve it. We still experience the ipads not syncing at least every other day even with the expensive upgrades. And lastly reading the summary report to understand what amount of cash you are intended to deposit daily is very confusing. I was told different things by different reps and this led to a daily error we had to go back and fix weeks after we discovered it. Is cash total with your initial drawer amount or not and why doesn't it automatically subtract cash Pay Outs or does it in fact do that? Well we figured it out finally it does not include your starting cash but does include not exclude your Pay Outs. Seems dumb for such a smart system. But worse seems dumb customer service gave different information on different days.

• Reviewed on 13/08/2016
Dave H.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 01/06/2020

"Overall disappointment with Shopkeep"

Comments: I wasn't finished with "cons" but I ran out of available space. I moved to Shopkeep from Quicken POS, almost entirely because I didn't want to be locked into a Windows platform. If I were to do it over again, I would elect to have stayed with Quicken POS and just bit the bullet on a new Windows machine. Shopkeep has been a disappointment. I listened to the salesman and jumped right in. If you are considering the switch, do not make it without doing a thorough test of the Shopkeep capabilities for yourself.

Pros: Support is easy to access. Some support staff are knowledgeable, but most just refer to the instructions on the built-in "Help" menus.

Cons: 1. No provisions for collecting "state sales" tax only.
2. No provisions for changing the date of the sales register to recover unrecorded ecommerce sales from the previous month.
3. Does not integrate with BigCommerce, as was promised during the purchasing process.
4. Entering multiple similar items is cumbersome, since there is no "copy" function that allows you to use all the information from the previous entry except for changing the SKU or product name. You have to re-type every field.
5. When going to a new screen, the cursor does not position itself automatically at what would be the normal starting field for the screen.
6. Backoffice does not recognize the hand held bar code scanner that the register program recognizes. You need a separate scanner for both programs.
7. If, after typing in all the information for a new product in inventory in backoffice, you make an error in field type, the system shows you an error message, but instead of retaining all the correct information on the screen except for the field with the error, the system makes you re-type all the fields again.
8. You cannot set the default value on the backoffice screen for entering new items, thereby allowing you to save on keystrokes. So if a high percentage of your categories are "shoes", you would expect the program would allow the default value to be "shoes", or whatever the user finds most efficient. Not with shopkeep.
9 The backoffice screen doesn't scroll to new fields.

by ShopKeep on 10/06/2020

Hi Dave,
Thank you so much for your review. We value your feedback and have passed it on to our customer care and product teams. Next month, we're releasing a feature that will let you collect state sales tax only. We also released an update last week that will fix the bug that was causing number 7. As for the rest of your list, please stay tuned for pop up notifications in BackOffice that will notify you when our new features are expected to be released. If you have any additional feedback that you would like to share with our team directly, please reach out to [email protected]

• Reviewed on 01/06/2020
Maria C.
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/07/2019

"Awesome User Friendly POS system"

Comments: I have recommended Shopkeep to everyone I see. I am not sure if it turned int new users but I’m sure my good vibes have trickled down in the community for Shopkeep. My staff also tells customers the POS system that we use and highly recommend it from a users perspective. I started in. September 6 years I believe and no one in Staten Island had a Shopkeep account so I would be interested to see how many accounts there are now and can guarantee some of those are due to the good reviews I give to fellow business owners and customers.

Pros: I Love that I could set up the list of products myself with very little direction or training in the back office. I love that I can see sales remotely using the App on my smart phone. I love the ease of accessing holidays sales from the previous years so that I can better prepare for this years holiday. I love that the staff can learn this after 5 minutes and conduct a sale all by themselves with their first customer.

Cons: I wish that the software was able to be used in my new cafe whereby people sit down in my dining area and have waitress service. I wish they had a table layout program to facilitate this need I have in my newest business.

• Reviewed on 18/07/2019
Adam G.
  • Reviewed on 28/07/2017

"It seems they have gone downhill....."

Comments: If someone asks for a call don't email. I have lots of questions and need someone knowledgeable for a few minutes to answer them all. Email is inefficient when one of your "answers" leads to more questions and you can't get responses slowly. I would love one person to take ownership of issues and be in easily reachable until the issue is resolved. I don't like having to talk to a new person every time.

Pros: The system is fairly easy to use and my new employees are able to learn it quickly. The bird's eye view is very helpful in knowing how we are doing day to day. I really like the comparisons to the same day last year and last month to see we grow month after month. I like the free MailChimp integration, They recently made a lot of updates that have made the system better and returns smoother.

Cons: It seems they are slow to implement updates, they didn't have an android phone app until recently and you can't see tons of info on it. I wish you could pull up past inventory values for specific days or time periods. The EMV capability on our card reader took well over a year to go active. The battery on the ICMP card reader dies in about 30 minutes of being unplugged not even used. You can't edit saved checks and can't do exchanges. They have a newer integration with BigCommerce that I was excited about because we already have a BC store and have to manually sync the inventory between the two. The problem is the integration isn't working with our store and they don't seem to know why. They have escalated the issue and supposedly the Q&A team is working on it but it's been over a month with no progress and it takes days for them to respond to requests for updates. They recently increased the price which is a large percentage increase. I've called service several times and asked for a manager to talk to and no one is ever available. I was told I'd get called back and one time a "lead" emailed me back and never responded to my follow-up email when I asked for a call. I then called again and asked for a manager and was told someone would call me back in 24 hours and no one ever did. I am now actively looking at other systems to replace Shopkeep because they don't call me back. I even tried to look for a regular non "800" number to call and attempt to call and speak to a supervisor but one doesn't seem to exist. I thought the customer service was good in the past but recently it has been horrible.

by Catherine on 03/08/2017

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your feedback. We've been actively trying to get in touch with you hoping that we can address some of your concerns. We will continue to reach out to you but please don't hesitate to contact us directly by responding to the most recent email you received from us.

• Reviewed on 28/07/2017
Ralph F.
  • Reviewed on 21/06/2019

"Overall good tool"

Comments: Useful data collection used to control and improve many aspects of the business.

Pros: The back office interface and functionality.

Cons: Initial problems with cash drawer interface.

• Reviewed on 21/06/2019
Shawn marie S.

"Shopkeep review"

Comments: We like the 24 hour help desk and online chat.

Pros: We like the easy set up and operation for new employees coming in.

Cons: We have not found anything about this software.

Theresa C.
Bookkeeper
Retail
    2.5 /5
    3.5 /5
    3.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 02/12/2015

"A Necessary Evil"

Pros: I don't know that there are a lot of vendors out there offering this particular type of product. I do know that ShopKeep touts its service as being geared towards smaller businesses thus an economical pricing structure and the subscription price started at a reasonable fee.

Cons: I'll try to summarize my complaints. ShopKeep's web based program drops credit card sales on too often, thus causing my credit card deposit to be different then what it should be. This causes the difficult chore of researching to verify credit card deposits. For the most part, e-mail support is worthless and the techs often seem confused or unknowledgeable. Phone support can be better, part of which is because I usually demand to speak to someone that knows a bit about the problem. It extremely annoyed me that ShopKeep spent the time, money, and resources rewriting and redesigning the website before they took the time to improve their software. The new website design still has glitches in it or does not work well in all browsers. One of my biggest pet peeves is that ShopKeep sends out a survey on customer satisfaction even before there is a response from customer support. I don't do surveys because I haven't received any support or the support offered isn't adequate.

• Reviewed on 02/12/2015
Sierra E.
General Manager
Retail, 11-50 Employees

"ShopKeep Review"

Comments: Overall it is a great product and we're happy to have it!

Pros: It is very easy to use and I love all the different reports you're able to view.

Cons: I had reached out a few times concerning the Receive Inventory section and was told it would be corrected with the new update. There have been countless updates and the issue is still there (it's probably been at least a year since the last time I reached out). You should be able to hit enter once you type in the product and the cursor should drop down to quantity so the only keys you need to hit are enter, tab and the numbers. It does drop down for the first entry but not the second. It drops down for the 3rd and 4th but not the 5th and after that it only drops down for every other entry. It has made entering a large invoice with 50 different items a little difficult. It was much easier in the beginning. My hands didn't leave the keyboard but now, because the cursor doesn't always drop down to quantity, I'm having to manually move the cursor and it definitely takes more time that way.

Michael J.
  • Reviewed on 27/06/2019

"Streamlined as can be..."

Comments: Minimal. Shopkeep works so well that we never have a need for the service department. To be honest.... I'm actually not sure if Shopkeep even has a service department! lol.

Pros: Simple to use. Intuitive. Low learning curve.

Cons: It seems like there are a LOT of updates, and in this world of mobile-phone-update-nightmares.... it worries me that any one of these updates could be shaky in any way? I'm sure Shopkeep is 110% on top of what is best for their software, but then again...... so were the engineers that sent out the last update that crashed my phone.

• Reviewed on 27/06/2019
Patty S.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 13/06/2019

"One major drawback"

Comments: Great! Just sorry I can't find a solution for the unsearchable field.

Pros: Back Office is great, POS is fast, Support is good, labels peel easily.

Cons: I have been asking since my first day to make the Supplier's ID # Field, SEARCHABLE! the way it is, I have to remember off the top of my head, exactly what I named each of over 5000 items in my inventory. Should I miss putting a price label on one, when I try to reprint it, if I can't remember the exact wording, let alone spacing & lettering it's impossible to find it in my system. I can't use my vendor's bar codes because 50
% of my inventory doesn't have manufacturer's bar coding. To save time, I enter it under misc, thus double entering it into my system's inventory. Then I have to remember to go back & subtract it when I finally have the time to search for the actual item again. I can't recommend it to others in my world because it's such a huge factor for me.

• Reviewed on 13/06/2019
Mark M.
Food Production, 2-10 Employees

"Great Software"

Comments: Shop keep works like a charm when you earn how to use it. It's easy to look up statistics and information whenever you'd like.

Pros: Shopkeep is very customizable and easy to use. We have used it for 4+ years.

Cons: The only con I have is they wont allow their card reader to use EVI for cards unless you use their credit card processing. That alone has caused me many times to consider other providers. I prefer to keep some things local for customer service purposes.

Bill S.
Wine & Spirits, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/12/2019

"What started good gradually goes south"

Comments: It was good for several years but the price went from $49 to $69 to $89 plus tax in just 4-years (for just 1-POS, $189 for 2-POS) .They are constantly sending emails offering referral bonus, pushing upgrades and operating capital loans. I am absolutely going to change, I am so, so disappointed with Shopkeep. I think their CEO is blind and doesn't realize their are other options.

Pros: Easy to set up, IPad format is easy to see and use.

Cons: I have used their POS for 5+ years. Customer service was good at first and is terrible now. When you call you are on an endless hold. Being told my wait will be under 2-minutes. While you listen to terrible music, most waits are 30+minutes and when you get a representative, He will most likely be from India and has no authority to help with any billing problems and in some cases has trouble accessing your account, just terrible. BEWARE, look otherwise is you are shopping for a POS system.

• Reviewed on 31/12/2019
Jessica S.

"Perfect for hair salon"

Comments: Great customer service. And it seems shopkeeper is always trying to improve.

Pros: It keeps track of tips fir my stylist. It is the cheapest credit card merchant I’ve found. It keeps track of all my taxes , sales, non taxable items. I can also use quickbooks through the software.

Cons: Need it to be easier to remove old staff pricing a and their department.

Cindi M.
Academy Director
Performing Arts, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/09/2019

"Does everything easily"

Comments: Support is a bit cumbersome but fortunately we don’t need them very often. Other than that, it does everything I need with ease.

Pros: Ease of use, compact, portable, customizable, easy to train new employees, great price, durable hardware.

Cons: Inventory is still is a bit challenging to manage. Not all suppliers are compatible with a full order load.

• Reviewed on 18/09/2019
Kim B.
  • Reviewed on 09/01/2017

"With a High Paced Ladies Boutique I need inventory accuracy at the click of a button."

Comments: With constant season changes and style changes, I need access to inventory on the go. I love that with Shopkeep I can log in any time, anywhere. I can tap into my inventory to help up to date quantities or to plan a sale. Because Shopkeep is so easy to use AND so easy to access I can work from any smartphone, tablet or computer.
I can also log in to check on hourly or daily sales, do the month, quarterly or year-end reports and forecast daily, weekly or month sales.
Plus I never have to pay extra for updates or maintenance to our system.
I highly recommend Shopkeep for your business!!

Pros: How easy it is to use. How their experts are always maintaining and updating the system to make it better and easier.

Cons: Some of the tabs, like the Customer Name tab is a little small and takes a few tries to get it to tap.
It won't pair up to our Moneris Debit System.

Brooke E.
  • Reviewed on 15/10/2019

"Awesome"

Comments: Pretty awesome these last few years

Pros: Inventory, staff time clock, the dashboard

Cons: Not being able to modify more and updates are too frequent where it gets changed too much

• Reviewed on 15/10/2019
Maura L.
Partner
Farming, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/10/2019

"We like ShopKeep"

Comments: Our record-keeping has really improved. We have been monitoring our sales traffic along with the items that are sold, and try to adjust accordingly.

Pros: We found the software to be very easy to set up, intuitive, and flexible. The screen design is attractive and easy to operate. We have been able to list our many products, which have variable sizes, weight units, seasonality, etc. The Dashboard reports have been extremely helpful.

Cons: We haven't found anything we would consider a "con". We are a small seasonal farm store and don't need or use many of the features in the Back Office.

• Reviewed on 29/10/2019
Cody W.
  • Reviewed on 10/11/2018

"Shopkeep doesn’t Value Restaurant/Quick Serve Food"

Comments: For almost 3yrs I’ve had the shopkeep system. I have a quick serve mom and pops bbq place. Since I’ve had it there has been a major flaw in their system. If 2 orders get saved at the same time(and then get sent to the kitchen printer) one order always fails in error to print. That wouldn’t be a major problem if you could simply just resend the order right?! Like if there was a button to simply just resend!?! We there isn’t. Nope no such feature. So what do you have to do.... void the entire order and re-enter it. Now imagine it’s 5pm, busy on a Friday night and your 10 deep at each till and you have to re-enter a 12 top order that you just took individuality by each person. It a nightmare. This happens every night when we are super busy. I have put in multiple requests to shopkeep. They have opening admitted it’s a flaw. They claim to be ‘working on it’. They also know that any restaurant food customer they have will have this exact same problem. Almost 3yrs they have been ‘working on it’. I put in requests to their tech depts multiple times per year. It’s a joke they absolutely do not value restaurant customers.

Pros: Easy to use. The system seems to work with most Apple products. Cost is average at best. I’m having trouble finding anything else.

Cons: For almost 3yrs I’ve had the shopkeep system. I have a quick serve mom and pops bbq place. Since I’ve had it there has been a major flaw in their system. If 2 orders get saved at the same time(and then get sent to the kitchen printer) one order always fails in error to print. That wouldn’t be a major problem if you could simply just resend the order right?! Like if there was a button to simply just resend!?! We there isn’t. Nope no such feature. So what do you have to do.... void the entire order and re-enter it. Now imagine it’s 5pm, busy on a Friday night and your 10 deep at each till and you have to re-enter a 12 top order that you just took individuality by each person. It a nightmare. This happens every night when we are super busy. I have put in multiple requests to shopkeep. They have opening admitted it’s a flaw. They claim to be ‘working on it’. They also know that any restaurant food customer they have will have this exact same problem. Almost 3yrs they have been ‘working on it’. I put in requests to their tech depts multiple times per year. It’s a joke they absolutely do not value restaurant customers.

by The ShopKeep Team on 14/11/2018

Hi Cody,
Thank you for taking the time to speak with us on the phone today. We value your opinion and your time and will be sharing your feedback with our Product team. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any additional feedback or questions.

• Reviewed on 10/11/2018
Corey A.
Barista
Hospitality, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/08/2018

"I worked with ShopKeep on a daily basis for over a year - it worked well and intuitively."

Comments: Ease of use and an increased customer flow.

Pros: The biggest pro to ShopKeep is that it is incredibly intuitive and easy to learn. All buttons and options are exactly where you would expect them, and everything else is programmable from the backend. ShopKeep is so well designed that you could learn the ins and outs within a single shift if you were a new worker. Because of the ease of use, ShopKeep undoubtedly sped up transactions and kept the line moving. Furthermore, the information that a user has access to through the backend is absolutely stupendous. Much of the information is the exact information that you would want to know, or would even go to lengths to calculate yourself, yet ShopKeep does it all automatically.

Cons: Easily, what I liked least about this software is that it often fails to store transactions when offline. Now, this ordinarily wouldn't be an issue (or even an expectation with these sorts of softwares), but, when a company advertises this as a main feature it is a little annoying when it doesn't work so often. This issue has led to many lost transactions or less importantly, having to chase down customers to redo the transaction.

• Reviewed on 02/08/2018
Paula T.
  • Reviewed on 09/01/2017

"Great for a small store"

Comments: I enjoy this software/register for our small candy store. They seem to keep pushing out new versions and updates that are helpful. I like that I can track inventory, costs, and employees easily. It is very easy for new employees to catch on, even without much computer knowledge. The next thing might be for us to add a bar code scanner, which we don't have. My main complaint is that I haven't been able to figure out how to get the reports to be central and not eastern time zone. Also, I don't care for some of the report changes, but overall, it's a great package.

Pros: Ease of use, simple interface, time clock/staff feature

Cons: Some of the reports are weird or I can't get exactly what I want; my register reports on the dashboard are always East coast versus Central time.

Eva R.
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/01/2017

"Just what i needed for my three store"

Comments: I have tree retail stores and i need to see their sales in real time to make re-orders and to ba able to update the inventory in real time from one central location. I can do all of this with shop keep. It's great! I wish that there was more reporting functionality but i am sure that is on the way! Thanks especially to all of the super helpful people on the support desk!

Pros: Ease of use and that the database is in the cloud and always live.

Cons: I have lots of database experience and I feel like I should be able to sort by every field. (and should be able to) but we are limited to best-selling items etc. I would like to be able to sort by supplier or category etc.

Vonda H.
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/06/2019

"ShopKeep for Cafes"

Comments: It’s easy to use, keeps fantastic data that will help you know your sales and inventory numbers at any given time.

Pros: Almost zero training needed for new staff! It’s so intuitive staff usually figure it out on their own.

Cons: For Canadian customers the debit and credit options don’t work in tandem with Canadian banks which causes numerous problems at the end of the shift in trying to reconcile two machines. The exchange rate makes this a very expensive choice when you consider you will need to purchase a separate debit machine and pay fees through your debit provider as well.

• Reviewed on 14/06/2019
Kristy J.
owner/operator
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/06/2019

"shop keep works well for us"

Comments: I can easily look back at my history and get lots of data from any history, which helps greatly in planning for staffing and watching growth trends, etc.

Pros: It has improved greatly since I started using it at least 6 years ago. The customer service has always been excellent.

Cons: I wish the system would generate the tip totals in one simple place for each of my staff within the back office. This would make my payroll much easier. Instead, I need to credit a spreadsheet of all of the individual transactions for a given time period and get my totals from that spreadsheet.

Tony V.
General Manager
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/10/2019

"Shopkeep is a great platform with challenges"

Comments: As a non-profit, the system that works and is affordable will move forward. Non stop sales emails clog up my email daily. When support is called everyone is very friendly and tries to answer questions the first time.

Pros: It works and has strong support to get you back up and running quickly. It has a lot of features that round out the business.

Cons: more leadership controls. When Staff is added, there should be a choice as to whether they can use the register. We want some to only clock in and out with no register access.