Table of Contents
What is a learning experience platform (LEP)?
A learning experience platform (LEP) is an upgrade to LMS (learning management system) software. An LEP helps organizations create a centralized content library of both internal and external learning assets and deliver personalized learning experiences. LEP software can also be used to manage and monitor individual learning journeys.
The benefits of learning experience platforms
LEPs allow users to create customized learning paths. It offers key benefits such as:
- Extended learning opportunities: LMS software generally offers a closed path of learning that is strictly monitored by an administrator, with limited or no input from the learner’s side. LEPs provide two-way involvement that allows learners and administrators to personalize learning paths.
- Improved collaboration and social learning: LEPs help learners collaborate with trainers and peers. The software supports social integration, which allows learners to share their learning progress and new content discoveries with social connections. These factors create a collaborative learning environment that improves team dynamics and the learning experience.
- Actionable learning recommendations: LEP platforms monitor the learning cycle of all learners. This data can be used to create personalized learning playlists for individuals, recommend the next set of courses, and monitor an individual’s learning progress.
Typical features of learning experience platforms
- Employee engagement: Track employee interaction with content and measure their learning progress.
- Employee portal: Allow each individual to track their learning progress, receive the next set of course recommendations, and track total time spent on training.
- Self-service content curation: Create personalized content libraries based on certain themes, categories, and interests.
- Reporting/analytics: Set key learning metrics and generate reports for performance analytics and business insights.
- Multi-user collaboration: Allow users to collaborate on courses and communicate and share insights with each other.
Considerations when purchasing a learning experience platform
- LMS vs. LEP: As a buyer, you need to clearly understand the difference between an LMS and an LEP. In an LMS solution, learners complete training courses prescribed by administrators; an LEP is layered on top of an LMS to offer more flexibility in the range of content and personalization options. For creating strictly defined learning programs and monitoring learning progress, go with an LMS; if you want to create a platform where everyone can collaborate and share learning content (both internal and external), explore LEP options.
Relevant learning experience platform trends
- Artificial intelligence’s (AI) impact will continue: Many vendors are now using AI in LEP platforms to study the engagement levels and learning behaviors of learners, and provide course recommendations based on those insights. Several vendors are working on developing AI-enabled bots that will be able to provide guidance to learners and offer help during a course. According to a report by eLearning Industry, the impact of AI in the learning space will continue and will change the learning landscape in 2019 and beyond.
- Gamification and game-based learning: Gamification of learning improves knowledge retention and the applicability of training topics to work situations. Organizations have realized the benefits of gamification in LEP platforms. LEP vendors have now started adding capabilities to award reward points, badges, leaderboards, and other gamification tools to their products.